When, in the year 1904, one Shri Somasundara Sastry, a visionary, founded a school for girls in Kanchipuram little would he have realised that one day his school, like the banyan tree, would send new educational roots from its branches so that they would develop into strong trunks. It was, in a way, in keeping with the character of the town, Kanchipuram, that a school was founded here. But to found a school for girls in 1904, now, in retrospect, seems an act of courage, an act, animated by hope that favoured intellect over established prejudices and an act which also embellished the truth in Winston Churchill’s statement that a man is as big as his decisions.
History, as Carlyle said, is the essence of innumerable biographies and the history of the growth of the original SSKV School from a single entity to five schools and a college today is actually the biographies of several people who strove to sustain the small beginning of 1904. The stability of public favour has been prevailing upon the SSKV brand since the beginning because successive office bearers of the Conjeevaram Hindu Educational Society (under whose aegis all the institutions are run) have been as committed as they have been assiduous in their task of institution building. Of these, mention may be made of Shri C R Pattabhi Raman, the son of Sir Sri C P Ramaswami Aiyar, the illustrious Dewan of the erstwhile princely State of Travancore. Mr. A. R. Jagannathan the son-in-law of Shri C R Pattabhi Raman and Dr. Vengudi Ramamurthy. It is only proper that now the President of the Governing Body is Dr. Nanditha Krishna, the great grand daughter of Sir Sri C P Ramaswami Aiyar and who is a well-known personality in Chennai. Under her guidance combined with the industry of Dr. C.K. Raman, the Secretary and the benign influence of Mrs. Umadevi, Joint Secretary, a giant step was taken in 2007 when a College exclusively for women was founded thereby creating an important signpost in the history of SSKV institutions.